From whatever point we approach, the definitions with which you and tried to evoke this place “a single pope, one God, a strong sun of San Leo” as well as “the most beautiful and the biggest hacks of War region “are never denied. Because the village, above a huge limestone boulder still retains the inaccessible character. And just from that pristine condition draws the charm of the renowned tourist destination, and the merit of being awarded the Orange Flag of the TCI. The name, according to tradition, comes from San Leone, evangelizer of the area in the fourth century. For these lands were fought long Lombards, Byzantines and then the Guelphs and Ghibellines, Malatesta and Montefeltro. Of the past Rovere and, after 1631, the state of the Church, the town stopped the strong defensive garments to clothe those in prison, which was closed only in the early twentieth century. San Leo is a paradigmatic example for the interpretation of the local geology and summarizes also significant geomorphological phenomena characteristic of the Val Marecchia. The extraordinary natural conformation of the place has determined, from prehistoric, double reality fortitude fitted by nature and offshore inaccessible and therefore sacred to the gods. Today the wonderful historical center, intact in its severity and in its original beauty, offering immediately to the eye the ancient Romanesque buildings: Parish Church, Cathedral and Tower, which are promoted through numerous Renaissance palaces, like the Medici Palace, home of the elegant Museum Sacred art, the residence of the Severini-Nardini Counts, the Palazzo Della Rovere, the Town Hall. Heart of St. Leo the square named after Dante who was a guest like St. Francis, who here received the gift, by the Count of Chiusi, Monte della Verna. On the tip of the spur highest Fortress of Francesco di Giorgio Martini, where he was imprisoned from 1791 until his death in 1795, Giuseppe Balsamo, known as Count of Cagliostro mysterious adventurer who I characterize the Age of Enlightenment, “Friend of Humanity “or common charlatan? Miracle worker, a leading figure in Masonic circles of the time. His reputation as an alchemist and healer reached the courts most important in Europe, where he was able to form friendships with prominent personalities. openly he challenged the Church founded in London a loggia Egyptian Rite and assuming the title of “Great Cofto”. The Holy Office did not hit him late in issuing a death sentence for heresy and seditious activities. The sentence was commuted by Pope Pius VI to life imprisonment, to be served in the prisons of the fortress of San Leo where he dies August 26, 1795, bringing with him all the secrets of a restless and adventurous. Monuments & Museums In more elevated position on the cliff edge, The Cathedral ‘new’ and work of Romanesque workers guided by architects (or head-master) Emilia-Lombard. The masonry is composed entirely of sandstone. The outer perimeter walls are punctuated by pilasters and semi-circular bearing at the height un’archeggiatura roof that runs interrupted under the eaves. There is no entrance in the facade, as in the adjacent Parish of the assumed, but the portal is open on one side and is surmounted of sculpted busts of St. Leo and St. Valentine, also from the old church (probably from the fence priestly). The plan of the church is built around a Latin cross, flanked by two aisles, divided into four bays; transept break the space before the high triabsidato presbytery, raised on a large crypt in turn divided into five aisles. Of this first church are numerous sculptural fragments, as the eloquent remains of the ciborium dedicated to Saint Leone, some capitals with motifs characteristic phytomorphic and winged lions of the porch. The Fort Renaissance Accesibile just beyond the south gate, via Leopardi, dominates the majestic summit of the cliff, representing a visual landmark in the valley below. It owes its present appearance to Francesco di Giorgio Martini by order of Federico da Montefeltro modify a medieval fortress; Sienese architect is entrusted with the powerful cylindrical towers and the long curtain that joins them. Since 1631, the fortress was converted into a prison in that narrow cells, derived from the original military housing, the Risorgimento patriots were imprisoned of which the most famous was Felice Orsini and freethinkers like Palermo Caliostro. Even after the Unification of Italy, the continuous fortress to fulfill its function of prison, until 1906. Then, for eight years, I host a “party discipline” until 1914. Today the fortress, cleaned up by nineteenth-century superstructures that altered the elegant Renaissance style, it has returned to its architectural splendor that makes it one of the most celebrated of military art testimonies, in a setting of history and art among the most beautiful in Italy. La Pieve can be pictured metaphorically as a grounded ship on a rock, a stone ship anchored forever in the rock that supports it and of which it is composed.
The building is in fact placed astride a rocky prominence of San Leo boulder so that, on the east and west, respectively, there is room for two rooms below the aisles: the crypt and confessional or the so-called Shrine of St. Leo which bears the traces of a sort of apse carved directly into the rock, which is accessed by an exterior door in the vicinity of the façade. The interior, which is accessed from the left flank as the bare facade lacks portal, and a basilica with three naves separated by pillars and columns, and roof trusses. The Carolingian church, probably compromised the structure to be a traumatic event such as an earthquake, it was almost completely rebuilt in the new Romanesque style definitely a few years after the fateful year one thousand. To date, however, the church is one of the most fascinating areas of central Italy medieval monuments. The Civic Tower -Torre The bell tower and building of great beauty, finished work of the Romanesque example of the architectural style and one with the same rock, according to the Gospel parable: manifesto of the Christian faith for centuries. Historically no one knows like much of the tower, it is probably an older tower, in some ways akin to the Pieve. In the conch of a window and present a small capital and its pillar fragmented, from the priestly fence of the church. Palazzo della Rovere and the first noble building that welcomes visitors after the front door. The elegant facade of the late sixteenth century is marked by horizontal sandstone moldings running along the double row of windows. It houses a monumental stone fireplace that flaunts the same design of the pediment of the building windows. The coat of arms of Francesco Maria II, which originally stood on the site of the building, and now walled up in a house of the adjacent street Montefeltro. Medici Palace It was built between 1517 and 1523, to house the Governor of St. Leo and the Montefeltro on behalf of the Florentine Republic. Located between Parish and Cathedral, the Palace has a Renaissance structure organized around the state rooms of the ground floor while lacking the typical central court of the Florentine residences. Today, the Mediceo Palace houses the Museum of Sacred Art in the upper floor, the cultural office, the Historical Archives and the Library. Here are also some rooms used for temporary art exhibitions and the Tourist Office IAT. Fontana is the reference point for all San Leo, was built in 1893 on the site where the medieval from the age existed elm Community or Olmo di San Francesco. From the golden beach and the hotels of the Riviera di Rimini each place and a good starting point for a different day exploring, why not, of these picturesque villages including San Leo we can offer views and balconies from where you can see the sea line and the more distant mountains. In addition, the villages have different proposals for local gastronomy and handicrafts of great value. Valley worth to spend a different day to the discovery of a land full of history and full of opportunities.